What is VPK SIS?
VPK SIS is an option outside the traditional VPK classroom setting for parents of 4-year-old children with special needs. If your child has a current individual educational plan (IEP) from Broward County Public Schools that calls for specialized instructional services, you can choose VPK SIS instead of traditional VPK school-year or summer programs.
VPK specialized instructional services are offered in individual or small group settings with a certified or licensed professional who is trained to provide specific instruction. Students enrolled in VPK SIS may use services identified on their IEP such as:
- Applied behavior analysis
- Speech language pathology
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Listening and spoken language instruction
- Other specialized instructional services consistent with your child’s IEP
Parents may choose one or more services and select from Florida Department of Education (FDOE) approved providers. Funding for each student is the same as traditional VPK but is based on the service rates charged by the specialists. Therefore, students in VPK SIS may receive fewer hours of service than students in traditional VPK.
How do I know if my child is eligible for SIS?
- Children must meet three basic eligibility requirements for VPK SIS. If your child is eligible, you must first enroll them through the ELC Broward office.
- Your child must live in Florida.
- Your child must be four years old on or before September 1 of the current year.
- Your child must have a current IEP from Broward County Public Schools.
About SIS Providers
The FDOE has approved the following professionals to be VPK SIS providers:
Individuals certified or licensed for applied behavior analysis services
- Licensed speech-language pathologists
- Licensed occupational therapists
- Licensed physical therapists
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Licensed psychologists
- Other licensed professionals who have applied to and been approved by FDOE
If your child is already working with a certified or licensed professional as described above, they may be eligible to receive VPK SIS funds that will cover the cost of services.
ELC Broward pays VPK SIS providers directly for services delivered to children in the program based on the schedule of services form. Parents and providers work together to complete required forms.
To find a VPK SIS provider in Broward County or to find out how your child's current provider can receive VPK SIS funding for your child's services, please call 954-377-2188 and ask to speak with a Provider Relations Specialist.