Resource Page for Educators & Families
Below we've outlined helpful resources from various organizations to help our educators and families have educational resources. We will continue to update this list as we receive additional information. Also, please follow our Facebook page. We are sharing valuable resources for providers, parents, and the community.
Free Learning Resources For Children
- Age of Learning - The Florida House of Representatives has partnered with Age of Learning to bring FREE access to its online digital library to every Florida child, regardless of age, income, or reading level, from now through 12/31/2021. To take advantage of this initiative, all Floridians need to do is visit http://www.ReadingIQ.com/newworlds and create a free account.
- KidVision Pre-K - Go on 100 virtual field trips, lesson plans, assessments and take home pages in English and Spanish included.
- Footsteps to Brilliance - Footsteps2Brilliance is offering complimentary access to our full program to ALL families of children 0-8 years old for 90 days. This includes comprehensive digital preschool through 2nd grade curriculum in both English and Spanish; leverages the smartphones, tablets, and computers your parents already own, can be used on any device and any platform. Can be used both online and , Once downloaded the program if fully accessible without WIFI or cell service.
- The San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games. Enjoy the tour!
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover.
- Indoor Activities for busy toddlers
- ABC YA - Practice math and reading skills all while playing games.
- Fun Brain - Play games while practicing math and reading skills.
- Nat Geo for Kids - Learn all about geography and fascinating animals.
- PBS Kids - Hang out with your favorite characters all while learning.
- Star Fall - Practice your phonics skills with these read-along stories.
- Storyline Online - Have some of your favorite stories read to you by movie stars!
- Switcheroo Zoo - Watch, listen and play games to learn all about amazing animals!
- Highlight Kids - Read, play games and conduct cool science experiments!
- Into the Book - Go "into the book" to play games that practice reading strategies!
- Suessville - Read, play games and hang out with Dr. Seuss and his friend.
COMMUNITY PARTNERS AND AVAILABLE RESOURCES TO
BROWARD COUNTY FAMILIES
(SELECT IMAGE FOR WEBSITE LINKS)
CHILD DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES FOR BROWARD COUNTY FAMILIES
(SELECT IMAGE FOR WEBSITE LINKS)
- Business Damage Assessment Survey - The State of Florida has activated the Business Damage Assessment Survey to assess the impact of natural disasters on Florida's local business operations so actions to implement appropriate relief programs can begin.
- Florida Department of Economic Opportunity's Short Time Compensation program for Employers - this program helps employers retain their workforce in times of temporary slowdown by encouraging work sharing as an alternative to layoff.
- Price Gouging Hotline - Price gouging can be reported by calling 1(866) 9NO-SCAM or by visiting MyFloridaLegal.com. For tips on reporting price gouging, click here.
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Florida Atlantic University (FAU). At FAU, the SBDC Team is working to support our local businesses.
- Check out some additional resources from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
- Child Tax Credit - The Child Tax Credit in the American Rescue Plan provides relief to most working families. Starting July 15, most families are eligible to receive monthly payments of up to $250 per child ages 6-17 and $300 per child under age 6. Please visit www.childtaxcredit.gov to learn more about this important benefit, and those that did not file taxes last year can use this tool provided by the IRS to sign up to receive benefits.
- The Florida Department of Children and Families is accepting rental assistance applications from tenants and landlords who are behind on their rent because of the COVID-1pandemic. Visit OURFlorida.com to apply. Applicants without access to the internet can apply by phone by calling 833-493-0594.
- American Red Cross Fire Safety Training - The American Red Cross is helping families develop escape plans and learn fire safety. Register your family for a 15-minute home fire safety call. Now thru June 30 you can register for this life-saving free training.
- OIC of South Florida’s (OIC-SFL) Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program will be hosting another Family Engagement Series this week. Families that attend will be eligible to receive a $50 gift card for the session.
- Broward County Public Schools Food and Nutrition Services is offering FREE Grab-and-Go meals for children to ensure they have access to nutritious meals over the Thanksgiving Break. For a list of schools visit the Broward County Public School website.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - Residential customers who receive federal assistance through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) or the Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) will receive an automatic $20 credit on their monthly FPL bill starting in December that will extend through December 2021. The LIHEAP program provides low-income families with financial assistance for electric bill payments. Eligibility is based on income and household size. The Broward County LIHEAP Program is for Broward County residents only.
- Community Foundation of Broward - An emergency grant from the Community Foundation enables Habitat for Humanity of Broward to help struggling residents stay in their home. This includes living in a new afforably priced neighborhood in Pompano Beach. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 954-761-9503.
- Urban League of Broward County Family First Community Relief Fund - This funding was established to help Urban League clients and other Broward County individuals and families.
- Food and Nutrition Services For Student and Families - Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) will continue to support students and their families through the coronavirus crisis by offering its grab-and-go meal service, which has been expanded from nine to 47 locations: 23 elementary schools, nine middle schools and 15 high schools throughout Broward County. Español | Haitian-kreyòl | Português
- OIC of South Florida (OIC-SFL) is looking to connect with career-inspired individuals looking to #FindACareer. Do you know someone who is unemployed or a returning citizen looking to successfully integrate and in need of training for a new career? OIC-SFL is here to help. They offer FREE vocational training for industry-recognized certifications as well as a pathway to careers of interest. View the flyer.
- Are you currently unemployed due to the COVID-19 pandemic? CareerSource Broward is currently hiring! To apply, go to: https://disasterjobs.careersourcebroward.com/
- According to South Florida Business & Wealth, companies like Amazon and Publix are quickly hiring to deal with changing business decisions. Check out your local grocery stores and local essential businesses to inquire about additional job openings.
- The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity also provides information on their Reemployment Assistance Service Center webpage such as temporary wage replacement benefits, job assistance and more.
- Food and Nutrition Services For Student and Families - Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) will continue to support students and their families through the coronavirus crisis by offering its grab-and-go meal service, which has been expanded from nine to 47 locations: 23 elementary schools, nine middle schools and 15 high schools throughout Broward County.
- Find Your Local Food Bank (Feeding America)
- Emergency Grant Request – for school districts and nonprofit organizations to support food access for children and families affected by school closures. (No Kid Hungry)
- MyPlate Kids Place – Games, Activity Sheets, Videos and Songs (USDA)
- MyPlate Snack Tips for Parents (USDA)
- Protect Your Health with Immune-Boosting Nutrition (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- NutriStudents K-12 Free COVID-19 Emergency Menu for Schools
- Nutrition Games, Printables and More by Nourish Interactive
- CATCH Health at Home Nutrition Education Resources for Parents